By using the Expat Hints and Tips site (the ‘Site’) you agree to be bound by these terms, which shall take effect immediately on your acceptance. If you do not agree to be bound by all of the following terms please do not use the Site. You are wholly responsible for use of the Site by any person using your computer and you must ensure that any such person complies with these terms.
We may change these terms from time to time and so you should check these terms regularly. Any such change in terms will be effective as soon as it is published on this webpage. Your continued use of the Site will be deemed acceptance of the updated or amended terms. If you do not agree to the changes, you should cease using the Site.
The Site is owned and run by HSBC Bank International Limited whose registered office is at HSBC House, Esplanade, St Helier, Jersey JE1 1HS with registered number 2818 (referred to as ‘HSBC Expat’ in these terms, with ‘we’, ‘us’ and ‘our’ having corresponding meanings). HSBC Expat is registered in Jersey by the Jersey Financial Services Commission for Banking, General Insurance Mediation and Fund Services Business.
Within the Site, when submitting content we ask you for additional information which is optional, but which will make your content more useful to other expats. We ask that you avoid sharing any personal information in your comments, including using your real name, for security reasons. By contributing to our Site you consent to any information provided in or by your contribution (including your provided name, personal information, IP address and any personal data in the comments themselves – but excluding your email address, if provided) being used by us for:
- the display of your submitted tips and information about yourself to the general public, and other purposes explained in these terms;
- evaluating the effectiveness of our marketing; and
- for statistical analysis.
We will also ask for your email address when submitting content, so that we can keep you informed of the publication status of your content. Your email address will not be made visible on the Site and will be deleted after we have used it to inform you whether or not your content will be published.
When you engage with us and other users via the Site, your personal data may be stored on our servers which may be in the USA or elsewhere outside the EU. Your information will be protected in accordance with data protection legislation as well as a strict code of secrecy and security which all members of the HSBC Group, their staff and any third parties are subject to and will only be used in accordance with our instructions, regardless of whether your information is processed in Jersey, inside or outside the European Economic Area. Any information posted on the Site may be accessed and read by the general public. It is not an appropriate forum to discuss your products or financial arrangements.
We may pass your information to be processed for the above purposes to other HSBC Group companies (i.e. HSBC Holdings plc, its subsidiaries and associated companies from time to time) or to our agents, in the UK or overseas, as permitted by law.
We shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever and howsoever arising as a result of your use of or reliance on the information contained on the Site to the maximum extent permitted by law.
The tips, lists, opinions and other user-submitted content posted on the Site are the opinions, ratings and feedback of the users and not of HSBC Expat. We cannot check and verify any information contained in such content, and so we cannot accept any responsibility for such content. Should you seek to rely in any way whatsoever upon any content contained on the Site, you do so at your own risk. No endorsement or approval of any third parties or their advice, opinions, information, products or services is expressed or implied by any information on the Site. User-generated content on the Site may contain links to other websites. Since these websites are not controlled and maintained by HSBC Expat we are not responsible for them or their content, and any such links shouldn't be seen as an endorsement of any kind.
We do not give investment, tax or other professional advice via the Site; before you make any decision or take any action that might affect you or your personal finances or business, you should always consult a suitably qualified professional adviser(s) to obtain appropriate financial, legal, accounting, tax and other advice. Information or opinions contained on this Site do not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation, or offer to buy, any securities or financial instruments or investment advice or any advice or recommendation in respect of such securities or other financial instruments.
We do not represent or warrant that the Site will be available and meet your requirements, that access will be uninterrupted, that there will be no delays, failures, errors or omissions or loss of transmitted information, that no viruses or other contaminating or destructive properties will be transmitted or that no damage will occur to your computer system. You have sole responsibility for adequate protection and back up of data and/or equipment and for undertaking reasonable and appropriate precautions to scan for computer viruses or other destructive properties. We make no representations or warranties regarding the accuracy, functionality or performance of any third party software that may be used in connection with the Site.
Submission of content12.
We reserve the exclusive right to decide what content is used, how it is displayed, and how the Site is managed. We monitor and moderate user-generated content before it is posted and seek to remove or avoid publishing content that we believe is unsuitable or which violates any of these terms. We may also reinstate any content or material where we think appropriate.
We take copyright, trademark, defamation and other laws very seriously. If you come across any content on the Site which you think is breaching these terms or someone else's legal rights or is unacceptable in any way, then you should tell us about it by emailing or writing us at the address below. Include as much detail as possible and explain why you think the content is objectionable, and which aspect of the terms it violates. Finally, make sure you provide us with your contact details, so we can get in touch if we need more information.
Email us at:
Write to us at:
Customer Relations Team
When submitting any content to the Site, you must not:
- defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten, impersonate any person or entity;
- violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy or intellectual property rights where applicable including copyright) of others anywhere in the world that those rights may exist;
- impersonate any person, company or other entity;
- publish, post, distribute or disseminate any material which is obscene, indecent, unlawful or otherwise objectionable;
- publish content that could be judged to be equivalent to commercial advertising, or in any way use the Site to promote your own business or the business of those close to you;
- advertise or offer to sell any goods or services, or conduct or forward surveys, contests or chain letters;
- publish any content or make any endorsements relating to the financial services industry either in general or about specific providers, their products, services or staff;
- post content in a language other than English (this allows us to moderate the site effectively);
- contribute content with the intention of committing or promoting an illegal act;
- post any content within the body of a tip or contribution that reveals any personal information about yourself or any other living individual (for example an e-mail address, telephone number or postal address). If you do post such content then you grant your consent, and confirm that you have obtained the consent of any such other living individual, to disclose this information on the Site and to the transfer (by its display in the Site or otherwise) of such personal information outside of the European Economic Area as per the privacy section above;
- post or otherwise make available any material that contains, or directs other users to, software viruses, malware, or other code or files that may damage or interfere with computer hardware or software; or
- make multiple posts of low relevance or content in a short period of time (i.e. 'spamming').
Ownership of content15.
Copyright in the Site’s screens, information, content and arrangement is owned by or licensed to HSBC Expat unless otherwise noted. When using the Site you may imprint, copy, download or temporarily store extracts from our Site for your personal information only, provided that you do not alter anything. Any other use is prohibited unless you first get our written permission. In particular you may not use a part of the Site on any other website, submit any content sourced from or via the Site to any other website or publication, without our prior written permission.
When you post content on the Site you will be granting HSBC Expat a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty free, assignable and sub-licensable worldwide licence to use it. This includes reproducing, modifying, adapting, translating, publishing, distributing and displaying it and doing so in any format. If you're worried about giving us the rights to use your hints and tips, basically don't submit or post any content or materials.
Contact and complaints17.
If you are unhappy with any aspect of the Site then please let us know by sending a signed written letter of complaint to:
Customer Relations Team
We will consider the complaint and take appropriate action, letting you know as soon as we reach a decision.
The interpretation, construction, effect and enforceability of these terms will be governed by Jersey Law. Both you and HSBC Expat agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Jersey Royal court for the determination of disputes.